Stampers: Check out my Stampin Blog

Please visit me at www.stampworkshop.com

Friday, April 8, 2005

RIP Pope John Paul II

McKenna woke me up at exact 3am this morning for a feeding. So, we went downstairs and I flipped on the TV while I fed her. I had debated on whether or not I was going to watch the funeral at 1am, or go to bed. I decided that I should sleep and catch the highlights in the morning. Well, as it turned out, I caught the last hour of the funeral.

I tuned at a really nice part of the ceremony. They were doing the Litany of Saints and shortly there after there was a ceremony that included the leaders of the Eastern Orthodox church. It was commented that it was the first time in current history that anything like this had taken place. It was so beautiful to see their vestments. They were so colorful and gorgeous. They were there to honor the Pope as he help to unify the Catholic church. Not many people realize that Catholic means Universal, so to have many of the Eastern churches there and part of the ceremony was a really touching thing to see.

Another part of the funeral was the final blessings and then the presentation of his casket to the crowds. I welled up at the thought if this being the last time he would be in public view. Although I personally don't know much about his history and his works, I do know that he was a very peaceful man and truly down to earth when it came to being one with the people and trying to make the Church "catch up" with the modern world. I hope that his life will be an example to many young Catholics and to people in general. He truly was a good man.

No comments: