Stampers: Check out my Stampin Blog

Please visit me at www.stampworkshop.com

Friday, September 2, 2005

I Don't Usually Like to Do This, But...

I try to keep this blog light hearted and an update to friends and family on what is going on with the family, but I am going to use the opportunity to say how ashamed I am at what is going on with the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

On Tuesday, my sister and I were talking about how people on the news were complaining that no one was doing anything for them. Well, I told my sister that these people just don't realize what is being done as they don't have any forms of communication. They will be rescued and safe soon. Well, poor naive me.

I have been consumed with news about the devastation and rescue efforts. And now I am ashamed of the inaction on the part of the President.

It is Friday - five days after the hurricane and people are still stranded in buildings and are all alone. There are hundreds if not thousands of elderly and mentally disabled people stuck in nursing homes and hospitals - some without any kind of supervision or help. Students at universities are stuck in the dorms without food and water. People are wandering the streets starving and hungry. These are regular everyday people. What can we expect here in Southern California when the big one hits? Or along the West Coast if a tsunami hits? Or a nuclear power plant malfunction? The Southern Region is an example of how unprepared we are to help our own citizens in times of disaster.

The media is portraying the looters as criminals taking TV's and things. But, what the news also isn't pointing out is that some of the looters are just people looking for food, water and meds for their families. It is made to look like lawlessness and free for alls. Many of these people are just like you and me and are just trying to survive. The ones that are making it on the news are the ones that probably would be breaking the law regardless of the hurricane or not.

Anyway, back to our President. I am all for backing him as he is our President, but I believe there should have been a quicker response. The minute the flooding began, he should have had relief headed that way. He cut his vacation short, but not soon enough. He flew over the area to view the devastation. Flew over? Why didn't he land? At least, it would show that he cared. He is going to visit today. Ah huh.

Ugh, I could go on and on. But, I guess I am in one of the mourning phases. I think I have come to the anger phase. I do mourn for all those that have died and those that are continuing to suffer. Please donate what you can to the victims.

No comments: